Thursday 16 April 2009

Look What the Easter Bunny Brought to My House!

Six of the cutest, week old, Rhode Island Red chicks of unknown sex.

And six of the tiniest little bantam chicks you've ever seen. I haven't measured them, but I'd bet they are only about 1 1/2" tall, if that. I don't know what sex or breed these are, but I'll know when all of their feathers come in.

This one DH calls Number 1 because it is the only yellow one we got.


I call these two Baby Blue (George Strait Song) and Bonnie Blue (Gone With The Wind).

And then there are 2 like the one on the right, and this dark one. As you can see, they have feathers on their feet. Sooooooo cute!


Here is a picture of DH holding the little dark one.
All 12 are currently living in my living room in a dog kennel that we wrapped with chicken wire to keep them from getting out. We placed a heat lamp over the top to keep them warm until all of their feathers come in. I can't tell you how much time I've spent just watching them.
Now we have to build a bigger chicken coop and enclose a bigger run for them. Our other 5 hens have no idea their territory is getting ready to be invaded!

No comments: