Thursday 26 February 2009

The Master Bathroom

Yes fellow bloggers, it's been 16 days since my last post. Please forgive me, but I do have a good excuse.

The weather hasn't cooperated and I haven't been able to get outside to spray paint and finish Catherine's office furniture yet. She came in the office on Monday afternoon to see everyone and was THRILLED about the furniture re-do. It looks like it will still be awhile before the weather and I can schedule another outside work day. But, I promise, as soon as I get it all finished I'll post more pictures.

I also STILL have not gotten my "before" pictures of our remodelling scanned so that I can post them. I really haven't been lazy. It's just that DH has had to be at work at 4:30 AM the last few days which has required me to get up with him at 3:30 to get him off to work. And when he worked all last weekend, I spent the days really cleaning and straightening the house and trying to organize the "stuff" that we are using to remodel the guest bathroom. So, since I'm not as young as I once was, my mattress calls my name quite early each night.

So, enough EXCUSES! I decided to post some pictures of our Master Bathroom redo.

We started by completely gutting the old bathroom, taking out the closet in what WAS one of the extra bedrooms (we have 3, but there are only 2 of us, so 2 extra bedrooms!) and knocking out the wall to open it up to the bathroom.

DH and I decided that we could live without the usual bathtub/shower combo in both bathrooms, so we took out the tiny little stand alone shower, and I do mean tiny. You couldn't bathe without bumping your elbows on the walls when lathering up! And the bathtub that was in the opposite corner and DH built this awesome, glass block, walk-in, door less shower.


I don't have a picture of the inside, but there is a granite seat in the corner so that when we get too old to stand and shower, we'll have a place to sit. There are also 2 shower heads, one on the far wall and one on the left wall. The one on the far wall is stationary, the one on the left wall has a pull down, hand held attachment that does a great job when bathing grand babies who aren't tall enough for the regular shower head to do anything other than drown them.

We also put in the tile you see on the floor at a 45 degree angle, as recommended by a friend of mine. This is to make the room look larger, and I think it really does. I wanted Mexican tile, but couldn't find it here in Nashville, so we chose this "look alike" ceramic tile that just happened to be on sale at our local Home Depot for $.99 a square foot, which is per tile!

I purchased this antique oak dresser for a steal at $175 in an antique store not far from home. All I had to do was clean it up with a little 0000 steel wool, put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it and add some new knobs. Oh, and the hardest part was watching DH cut the hole in the top for the sink! I'm really pleased with how it turned out.



Unfortunately there wasn't a mirror with the dresser and I haven't found one that looks like it "matches", so I opted for this antique medicine cabinet that I found at a salvage store. DH says I could have gotten the same look with a new one, but hey, I wanted an old one!

I'll go into more detail when I get all of the pictures together. And, I'll tell you how I did the finish on the wall. You should have seen DH's face when he came home to that one!

No comments: