As I ran out this morning, headed for work, I got a quick photo of the curvy legs that I am planning on using for the bottom of the bookcase. As you can see, they are currently green, but when I get the whole thing together I will paint everything black. This picture is the side of the base. I've put it back together with Gorilla Glue and my handy nail gun. It may require additional support, but I understand that Gorilla Glue is pretty darn tough!
The scalloped piece at the bottom of the picture will go across the bottom front. The piece to the left will become a shelf. Nothing will be wasted, and that's how I like it.